Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Metropolitan Opera: Live in High Definition

The Metropolitan Opera: Live in High Definition

Years ago as a student in Rome, Italy on a whim I decided to go to the Opera; a challenge, being totally uneducated and underexposed; but every taxi driver in Italy sang arias, so why shouldn’t I give it a try; although hearing people would pay me to sing “over the hill and far away”. I went, and at nineteen my life was altered; the affect of my first opera, Giacomo Puccini’s (1858-1924) La Boheme, was profound, intoxicating, mesmerizing and overwhelming. There was no English text, just the most unequivocally beautiful music I had ever experienced; each sung note toyed with my heart and tear ducts: the tears would not cease and I exulted in surrendering all control; I had never felt so perfectly vulnerable, a tool, a vacuum, a receptacle for this musical miracle. I was ambushed emotionally and have been imprisoned in divine captivity for decades; an unknown void; filled to capacity. How could this happen? Love at first sound and a happiness so tangible, it galloped from my pores.
Who was this composer? A mere mortal who in the solitude and privacy of his gifted mind could fathom such magnificence; could hear and visualize this monumental creation that would capture audiences for eternity; my faith in a god, reinforced.

The Metropolitan Opera in New York City has given the twenty-first century its greatest and most culturally artistic innovation. Anyone can now go to the Opera in a movie theatre. You can view it live, all over the world or go to a taped encore performance at a later publicized date. Erased from the elitism attached to this art form, the intimidation,
expensive ticket prices. You can attend, attired as you like in a seat you prefer, eat popcorn and expose yourself to the extraordinary magical skills of composers past and present. You may exit without embarrassment, although the final act is usually the most traumatic and scintillating.

Through the years I have concluded that there are those with an inherited Opera gene; it is part of their DNA; others can cultivate and become scholars but never have the visceral, powerful, gut-wrenching sensation when the first chords are struck. In the movie “Pretty Woman” (1990) Edward (Richard Gere) takes Vivian (Julia Roberts, the paid professional) to a performance of Verdi’s La Travita; her reaction was one of amazing joy, understanding and empathy; she was hooked, acknowledging that enchantment had struck , bowed at her feet, and grasped with musical tentacles her emancipated spirit.

Tickets go on sale the beginning of September. If you are a neophyte commence with Puccini, Verdi, Bizet, Mozart, Rossini, Massenet; save Schoenberg, Shostakovich, Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Wagner for the second season. Regardless of age, take a bite and quite possibly an appetizing addiction will develop.

For Now………..Peneflix

I will be on hiatus for almost a month; but working on my quest to satisfy my craving for Bollywood films; a week in Mumbai should serve as an entrée to this dedicated mission.

Please do not hesitate to keep me informed of movies (good, bad or ugly) that I should view and review upon my return! Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent posting on the joys of opera! Don't miss "Winter's Bone" at the Landmark. Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete